|Honorable Judge Jay Yellowhorse
Puerco (Sanders) Justice Court
|IMPORTANT INFORMATION SHEET
|Effective September 30, 2009, Arizona Revised Statue (A.R.S.) 28-4135 requires the Motor Vehicle Department (MVD) to administratively suspend the driver’s license and registration of any person convicted of a violation of A.R.S. 28-4135(A), (B) and (C) upon receipt of the abstract of the record of judgment. The monetary penalties associated with violations of the above referenced statue remain the same and are:
- $500 + surcharges and court fees, for a 1st offense
- $750 + surcharges and court fees, for a 2nd offense
- $1000 + surcharges and court fees, for a 3rd offense
|Effective September 30, 2009, the statue also allows the court to reduce or waive the penalty imposed for a violation of A.R.S. 28-4135 if the person provides proof of both the following items:
- The defendant (driver) not been found responsible of a violation of A.R.S. 28-4135 within the past 24 months OR has not had more than one violation of A.R.S. 28-4135 within the past 36 months as evidence by the person’s driving record.
- The defendant has purchased a six month policy of insurance that meets the requirements of A.R.S. 28-4009.
|The statue allows the court to:
- waive the monetary penality
- waive only the driver’s license suspension
- waive only the registration suspension
- waive both the driver’s license suspension and registration suspension
- impose a lower monetary penality, or
- any combination of the items listed here
|Upon receipt of the record of judgement, MVD is responsible for entering a suspension of the defendant’s driver license and/or registration/plates in their system. In order to ensure that the defendant is in compliance with the suspension and to receive timely notification from MVD, the defendant must ensure that the MVD has their most current address.
|The suspension of the defendant’s drivers license and or registration/plates is not effective until MVD mails the Corrective Action Notice to the address of record. Service of notice is considered complete upon mailing of the Corrective Action Notice. The Corrective Notice will provide informative of the effective date for the suspension and reinstatement requirements (e.g., fees, SR22, proof of insurance, etc).
|Defendants may be eligible foe MVD issued restricted license if they obtain a SR22, proof of insurance and they comply with the additional criteria established by the MVD.
|To determine eligbility and for any other questions regarding
suspension, defendants should contact MVD at:
Phoenix (602) 255-0072
Tucson (520) 629-9808
Elsewhere in Arizona 1-800-251-5866
TDD Systems Only:
Phoenix (602) 712-3222
Elsewhere in Arizona 1-800-324-5425 311