NATURE OF WORK:
While directly responsible to the Apache County Schools Superintendent and Chief Deputy, performs work of considerable difficulty in a timely and accurate manner with a minimum of supervision involving general school revenue accounting, school reconciliations, data entry for schools and the Office of the Schools Superintendent, coordination with the County Treasurer’s Office, and appropriate record keeping.
Work closely with school districts under the umbrella of the Apache County Schools Office on accounts receivable, revenue deposits, monthly reconciliations with school districts and the County Treasurer, and general ledger entries following the Uniform System of Financial Reporting (USFR) and A.R.S. Title 15; post school district vouchers and journal entries to the school’s fund report; initiate transfers to the County Treasurer on a regular basis; maintain detailed, up-to-date, and accurate records of all transactions; general office duties such as answering telephones when the clerk or other personnel are not available, and assisting the general public when necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Considerable Knowledge Of:
1. Arizona school accounting principles, practices using County and school accounting software;
2. Knowledge of, and experience with, USFR and County Treasurer’s Chart of Accounts;
3. Cost, governmental and fixed assets accounting;
4. Financial record keeping software that may include Quick Books, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and SQL;
5. Office procedures and procedures.
Considerable Skill In:
1. Analyzing and interpreting financial and accounting records;
2. Preparing reports using school/County software, word processing, Internet communications, and other computer software tools;
3. Communicating frequently with vendors and schools to reconcile differences or potential problems; performs independent research and organizes data for presentation as needed to resolve such discrepancies or problems.
4. Operating an automated accounting system;
5. Operating Xerox and scanning equipment, and use of a ten key calculator;
Considerable Ability To:
1. Make mathematical calculations with speed and accuracy;
2. Research and verify information;
3. Establish and maintain effective and cordial relationships with co-workers and personnel from other schools;
4. Perform effectively under pressure, including being able to focus on accuracy and attention to detail while dealing with a variety of interruptions that take focus away from the task at hand;
5. Communicate effectively verbally and in written communications;
6. Use good judgment when resolving problems.
1. High school diploma or GED;
2. Six years of general accounting work with a computerized ledger system, preferably in a school or county setting;
3. Willing to learn new computer applications/cross-train with Payroll;
4. Willing to assist with special events (i.e. Spelling Bee; Teacher of the Year; Administrator of the Year) that fall under the purview of the Superintendent of Schools office.