THIS IS A JOB POSTING FOR AN ELEGIBILITY LIST. POSITION COULD BE FOR FULL TIME OR FOR PART TIME EMPLOYMENT.
Under general supervision performs security work of routine difficulty in the supervision and welfare of juvenile detainees; performs related duties as required.
Typical Duties (Illustrative Only)
Controls and supervises the movement and activities of juvenile detainees; maintains daily detention logs, records and files; supervises visitation. Conducts searches of detainees; conducts inventories; maintains the safety and physical security of the facility and detainees; drives transport vehicles to deliver/pick up juvenile detainees throughout Arizona and other states.
Condition of Work
Work is subject to varying post or job site assignments and may be subject to call-back or on-call status and irregular schedules to include completion of work assignments on weekends and holidays. Possible exposure to combative situations and abusive language in control of juveniles in a confined area. Some risk of injury due to exposure to possibly violent or short tempered individuals. May be exposed to bodily fluids, communicable diseases. Position involves light to moderate lifting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge of:
· Report preparation and record keeping;
· Standard housekeeping practices;
· Human behavior and various social, economic and cultural backgrounds;
· Search, transportation and restraint procedures.
Some knowledge of:
- Practices and procedures as applied to a detention/correction facility;
- Basic report writing.
· Analyze situations detect problems and facts;
· Deal impartially with individuals of various socioeconomic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds;
· Maintain a neutral attitude toward all inmates regardless of the reason on their detention;
· Respond to emergencies and stressful situations calmly, quickly and decisively;
· Work rotating shifts to include: nights, holidays and weekends;
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public;
· Follow written and verbal instructions;
· Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Must possess and maintain a valid Arizona driver’s license. Successfully complete a background investigation, to include no felony convictions. Must attend and complete the Juvenile Detention Officer Academy. Shall be required to successfully complete psychological or other examinations or tests to include drug testing, finger printing and physical or stress test prior to appointment and/or during employment.
· Arizona Committee on Judicial Education and Training (COJET) yearly accreditation is required.
· Employees are required to obtain certification in CPR, First Aid, Van Safety and Handle with Care, within the first six (6) months of employment.
· Employees are required to maintain all certifications as stated above.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required to employees assigned to this job.