|The Apache County Physical Activity Program promotes regular physical activity and an active lifestyle among citizens in Apache County through school-based programs, adult community programs and community events.
The mission of our program is to promote moderate, physical activity throughout Apache County in order to prevent and control morbidity and mortality among out citizens.
Promoting Lifetime Activity For Youth
The promoting lifetime activity for youth program moves the focus from fitness to regular physical activity. The focus of the program is to encourage the accumulation of at least 60 minutes of moderate physical activity throughout the child’s day. By adding a 15-minute activity break to the school day, teachers offer students an opportunity to learn about lifestyle activity.
- Discuss the importance of physical activity
- Discuss the importance of having fun while you are physically active
- Prompt all students in class room to move
- Allow students to move at a pace that is acceptable to them
- Direct a 15-minute activity break most days of the week and teach a variety of games and activities that are fun for the students.
- Teach students that any activity is good activity.
- Demonstrate that the school values participation in regular activity.
- Introduce logging and explain that it will help students to reach their physical activity goals.
- Encourage students to spend al least 60 minutes a day, at least 5 days a week being active.
If the students have accumulated at least 60 minutes of activity for at least five days, for 6 weeks, they will earn a President's Active Lifestyle Award.